Retargeting is a powerful tool for your advertising campaign, but what are the ways in which you can ensure its success for your brand? Retargeting allows you to target consumers that visited your website without converting by displaying your brand’s advertisements as they browse other websites. As such, retargeting acts as an effective targeting method because your brand stays at the top of your consumers’ minds even as they are looking at other products. Find out the five keys to success for retargeting campaigns below!
- Use Segmentation: Through segmentation, you are able to tailor ad messages with different stages of the purchase funnel. This allows for more effective retargeting, as it is personalized to the page the consumer visited on your website. For instance, if the consumer only visited the homepage of your website, you can target these consumers with a general branding message. If a user viewed a specific product, you can serve them an ad that contains that product so that they’re reminded of it. By using segmentation, you can make the ad your serving to the consumer more personalized based on their activity on your website.
- Creative: As with any ad campaign, creative is the center of its success because it reels the consumer in. With retargeting specifically, you want to make sure your creative is strong in order to peak the user’s interest enough to have them visit your website again. For example, by using multiple creatives, you can keep your display ads fresh and up to date, so that retargeting campaigns are not overexposed by only using solely one creative ad. When using segmentation, make sure your creative correlates with the user you are looking to target.
- Include a clear call to action: Phrases like learn more, buy now, or request a demo are all good examples of effective and clear call to actions. By defining the action you want your consumer to take, you consumer knows exactly what the next step is.
- Landing Page: By making your landing page have a similar look and feel to the retargeting ad, your customers will understand that they have been directed to the right page. If the landing page has a completely different image, coloring, font, or message, then your customer will instantly feel confused and click out of the window. Keeping the retargeting ad and the landing page consistent will help guide the consumer from the ad to the landing page to conversion.
- Monitor the campaign’s success: By evaluating how your campaign is performing, you can track its success. If one creative is significantly outperforming another, for example, you can gauge what types of ads your customers like seeing. You can also adjust your budget as the campaign is being served if you want to increase or decrease it.
Because only 2% of consumers who browse a website actually end up converting, retargeting is the best method to regain the other 98%. By following these five keys to retargeting success, you’ll be sure to see more conversions and high returns on investments.