The holiday shopping season is quickly approaching. More and more consumers are participating in online and offline shopping activity all weekend long not just on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
In the digital advertising, space inventory can also be harder to come by during Black Friday and Cyber Monday and even throughout the larger holiday season. The influx of dollars spent in digital advertising during the holiday season means there is an increase in demand decrease in available inventory. The combination of less inventory available with increased demand also forces higher CPM prices across the ad bidding ecosystem.
Here are some things you could try during the holiday FRENZY to ensure you are reaching your target audience:
- Experiment early on with cheaper sources of media, like long-tail sites and/or audiences.
- Adjust bid prices early on, and optimize pacing to ensure that your campaign can meet delivery goals.
- Implement a cross-device strategy. Tablets and mobile phones, as well as desktops, have programmatic inventory available to buy.
- Drive conversions in several different ways. Not every visitor to your website will purchase a product but gathering other touch points can be alternative conversions.
- Retargeting will be KEY. Target consumers that are already interested in your brand/product with very sophisticated retargeting strategies.
Programmatic media buying continues to prove that it can be an effective tool in your holiday marketing strategy. Rather than placing such an enormous emphasis on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, brands should leverage RTB across the extended holiday season, taking advantage of data that can help them reach and influence their customers early on, well before the bidding frenzy begins.